Thursday 12 January 2017

First Chance 10k: race report and review

First Chance 10k: 8th of January 2017
The First Chance 10k is an early season running race held by the banks of the Exe Estuary and is organised by local Exeter running club the South West Road Runners. A popular event, this offers a fast, flat course with good PB potential given the right conditions.
I did this race last year for the first time and was keen to get another early-season marker, especially with the 2017 Virgin London Marathon looming on the not-too-distant horizon. Following a couple of months of fairly relaxed training, mostly off-road in some beautiful spots in and around Exeter, I was feeling quite fit and strong starting the New Year.
This also marked the first time Beccy, my wife, had ever entered a running race and there was a good turnout of Exeter Triathlon Club members.
Rupert and I pacing each other about half-way
 
 
The weather was pretty much perfect for running, with a cool but comfortable air temperature of about 11 degrees, and barely a breath of wind. Some recent rain had left a few big puddles on some of the course and a couple of slightly slippery areas, but overall it promised to be a fast one.
 
Unusually for me, I turned up with ample time to drop my bag off and even remembered to take my race number so didn’t have a repeat of ETC Social Secretary Juliette pinning a number onto my vest about two minutes before the start (which is about 500m from the bag-drop!)
I warmed up with a comfortable downhill run from home with the usual suspect, Rupert. Agreeing a time to meet him is probably what meant I was actually on time for once- a lesson to be learned!
The race is run on a mix of smooth tarmac and a sort of compacted gravel trail. Generally a good surface, there are still quite a few bits with big loose stones and puddles, which could potentially catch you out if you landed on one awkwardly. There are also a couple of tight turns on the loops and a narrow footbridge to negotiate about 200m from the end, which also slows you down quite a lot. The course is on foot- and shared cycle-paths, so mid-morning on a Sunday there is the usual mix of dog walkers and cyclists to be careful of, some more careful and tolerant than others.
It begins with a straight run up the west side of the estuary, between the river and the canal for about 0.5km and is then followed by two loops through Riverside Valley Park, before returning to the tarmac with a straight run about 800m past the start, with the finishing line at Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre.
Dan (grey vest) on his way to a great time
Starting positions are self-selected and, whilst a few people choose less than sensible spots near the front, it does seem as though most have a decent idea of where to put themselves. This is actually quite important as the start is fairly narrow.
I noticed at the very front of the start line was Phil Wylie, local GB Elite Squad duathlete extraordinaire, and recent winner of the Great West Run. I expected him to win it and he didn’t disappoint (well, he may have disappointed the guy in second!), cantering over the line almost two minutes ahead of the next runner.
I lined up alongside ETC club-mates Rupert and Dan Kinver, but did my usual thing of setting off a bit slower than most people. I think that I need to work on this as it immediately put me about 20m behind Rupert and I didn’t see Dan for the rest of the race, with him finishing a healthy 30s ahead of me. This is something I would like to work on, but not at the expense of overcooking it too early.
However, I quickly settled into my stride and the first few kilometres were good: a fast pace but one that felt sustainable. At about 4km it I could see the frontrunners on their way back, and it looked as though there were about a hundred people ahead of me. However, I gradually picked people off as my pace remained fairly steady while others may have slowed down a bit. It was also at about 4km that I caught up with Rupert and there was a group of about six who ran together for a while.
I started to feel it a bit at the halfway stage, and looking back I see my pace dropped off a touch, but I managed to get back on track and keep it consistent for the next few. Most people are going to feel it from 5 to 8km however, and I think this is probably the toughest part of a race- you’ve done enough to be tired, but not quite close enough to the finish to know that it’s going to end soon! For me this is where it becomes a bit more of a mental game; to keep pushing yourself when you’re a bit done in and your body is telling you to just take it easy.
Ellen and Corinne running together near the start
Despite my best efforts though, I wasn’t quite able to maintain the same pace as I had in the first half of the race, resulting in a marginally positive split (approx. 12 seconds). As I approached the finish line I saw the clock tick over the 37min mark which was a (somewhat fanciful) target. Nonetheless I finished quite strongly in a new PB of 37min 12secs.


It was great to see a number of other ETCers put in some great performances, with Dan producing a massive PB in the region of 3min; Rupert giving a strong early-season showing that bodes well for the upcoming European Duathlon Champs in Spain; another sub-40 effort and category win for Vikki; James managing to reign himself in for a strong recovery run from a recent injury setback; Beccy producing a great time in her first ever running race; Andy also getting a PB by over a minute; Rob back running competitively after a difficult time with injuries; Ellen racing despite being in a plaster cast (on her arm, not her leg!); and Corinne completing and doing well despite limited training opportunities.
Had I realised how close I was to that in the final few KMs would I have been able to up my pace enough to get into the 36 bracket? It’s hard to say- you like to think so, but at the same time I feel that I paced it well and was pushing myself from start to finish so perhaps not. Either way, I beat my previous best of 38:20 by some way, so a satisfying race overall and a good way to begin the New Year.
Results (M&F winners, and Exeter Tri Club)
               
Overall Position
Name
Category Position
Chip Time
1
Phil Wylie (1st overall)
1
31.02
24
Serane Stone (1st female)
1
36.10
31
Dan Kinver
25
36.45
37
Wai Ming Loh
30
37.12
44
Rupert Warren
4
37.28
68
Vikki Thompson
1
39.56
144
James Haigh
67
45.08
176
Beccy Williams
9
46.24
190
Andy Watts
78
47.19
268
Rob Libby
91
51.36
361
Ellen Sanders
38
57.27
428
Corinne Parnall
22
1.02.25
 
Verdict:
Organisation: 9/10
A straight forward course that is well-marshalled where needed, everything runs smoothly. Ideally a slightly wider start would be good.
Course: 9/10 
A fast, flat course this has great PB potential. The packed trail can be a bit unforgiving underfoot and the road works at the far end turnaround made for a very narrow section, but it’s a pleasant part of the city and, if the weather is kind, a nice race to do.
Nutrition: 8/10
A low-key 10k doesn’t require much in the way of nutrition, but there was a water stop so access to a drink at about 5 and 8km if you needed it. A banana and Snickers at the end was nice. 
For spectators: 9/10
It’s lovely down near the Quay in Exeter and very user friendly, with toilets, good paths that are wheelchair and buggy friendly, plenty of cafes nearby, and nice views. The two-laps make it easy to see runners at least twice and you can have an enjoyable walk in between.
Value: 9/10
I think I paid £15 for this as a non-UKA member, which to me seems about right for a 10k. I liked it that I wasn’t given a plastic bag (wasteful) full of flyers that would go straight in the recycling, and rather than an event t-shirt (of which I have too many) there was a rather fetching bright yellow ‘buff’ instead (last year was a beanie hat).
Overall: 9/10
A really nice race that attracts a pretty fast field at the sharp end but a huge range of ability and experience throughout. A lot of PB potential and a great way to start the new year, though some of the surfaces leave a bit to be desired.